The CAC was established in 1998 during a critical point in Pine Bend Refinery’s history. In the late 1990s, the facility was determined to improve its environmental and safety record following several state and federal penalties. The community, through a steering committee made up of area public officials, stepped forward to help the refinery establish the Community Advisory Council. The CAC now serves independently of Flint Hills Resources and the original steering committee.
The Flint Hills Resources Pine Bend Refinery is a leading producer of transportation fuels and other petroleum products. The refinery is located is Rosemount, MN. More information on the FHR Pine Bend Refinery can be found here.
The Community Advisory Council to Flint Hills Resources (FHR) is a group of individuals representing local community interests affected by the operations of FHR Pine Bend LLC, located in Rosemount and Inver Grove Heights, MN.
The purpose of the CAC is to provide two-way communication between the community and FHR Pine Bend Leadership. It provides members with an opportunity to discuss issues and make recommendations to FHR regarding environmental, health, and safety issues of concern to the people living or working within close proximity to the refinery. It also provides a mechanism for FHR to solicit direct feedback from the community regarding refinery operations and plans.
CAC Guiding Principles
- Serve as a credible and trustworthy voice for our community and neighbors through transparency and in all our deliberations and decision-making.
- Respect and encourage differing perspectives by promoting open dialogue and questions at our meetings.
- Seek out input from our neighbors and community members to ensure that we are representing their interests and delivering on our mission.
- Gather and analyze credible data for making informed decisions and recommendations on environmental and safety topics relevant to refinery operations.
- Value a trusted and productive partnership between community representatives and the refinery management.
More CAC information, including the current Operating Policies and Practices, can be found on the Resources page.